Monday, August 1, 2011

Aaaaaand face-plant.

Hello!

So, a really quick update:

- I made a lot of chocolate yesterday. Kitty helped me, as did my Mom, and it was a great experience for everyone, in my opinion. I'm sure Kitty feels the same way, as there's nothing more wonderful than spending a sunny Saturday afternoon in a commercial kitchen space. Hahahah- I owe so many people so much chocolate.

- I just realized that the UPC codes are the same on two of the labels. I'm figuring out how to fix this issue.

- Working out more pricing... had a small freak-out this evening, when I miscalculated raw materials costs as being about 2.5 as much as they should be. For a second there, I thought I was a bit doomed. I love the numbers, though- 8-)

- The price of coconut oil has skyrocketed. I just checked my records from a month ago to the current price and e-mailed the supplier. How it can increase by 63% is a little frightening, but I think I have found a solution. Hopefully.

- Karl sent me a charger for my BlackBerry! Now I can check my e-mail at all times and take more pictures of my chocolate. Thank you for the very unexpected gift, Karl! ... the pink flip phone just wasn't cutting it.

- My food processor is playing dead more and more frequently. I think it's trying to tell me something... (but what????).

- The church kitchen I operate out of is fantastic and, although I usually really don't like cooking or baking or anything domestic, I really don't mind making chocolate there- it's really peaceful and less of a gong show than whatever goes on at my house. I try to make a conscious effort to be really peaceful when I am making the chocolate- good vibes.

- Somewhat unrelated to Zimt, but a funny story none-the-less: my neighbours go out of town every August, and if I'm around, they ask me to take care of the house (watering plants, feeding fish, etc.). And every August I'm around, I say, "Sure- would love to.". And every August, I water the plants and feed the fish and set off the alarm and the apathetic alarm guy (AAG) calls and it sounds a bit like this:

Me: "Hi- um, I'm really sorry, but the alarm keeps going off- I'm just watering the plants and feeding the fish- ummm... sorry, it's so loud. I forgot the code. I didn't even write it down. Isn't that ridiculous? I'm the neighbour- could you please just tell me the code? I know it's something like ---- but I think I am messing up the last number-"

AAG: "Nah, can't do that."

Me: "... no?"

AAG: "Don't have their code."

Me: ".... actually? Well... could you just make it be quiet anyway?"

AAG: ....

And this happens several times, and then the neighbours call, I get the code, vow not to forget it, and am kind of late getting to the kitchen, because I also had to vacuum our house, too, which takes a lot of time, and I think back to when I was living in Germany and all I had to vacuum was a few square meters and be done with it.

And then I go make chocolate.

... these are never quick updates.


Enjoy your Monday!

Emma 

No comments:

Post a Comment