Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pent up demand.

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to keep this one short (... really. I'm serious this time.), as I've got to make a chocolate delivery/ ultimate frisbee appearance/ break from re-writing my website content to comply with CFIA standards.

Here's an update:

Apparently, the chocolates are doing very well. I went into Greens on Monday night with my friend Mia and had a nice chat with a cashier who was so happy to have a healthy, raw chocolate in store- she said it provided a great opportunity to spread the word on the benefits of raw cacao and other super foods (which, I am not allowed to mention about on my website, because it is not allowed by the CFIA and they threatened that my chocolates would be taken off of store shelves if I did not change the content to adhere to their standards.). Question: Why is it that foods that are legitimately unhealthy (I'm thinking dairy yogurts, dairy cheese (that is mostly plastic...) and cholesterol-laden, battery-cage eggs) are allowed to be toted as being healthy, and raw chocolate made my yours truly is not? Answer: My product does not stimulate the economy as much as dairy, eggs, and meat. Woops. Oh it is unfortunately quite bureaucratic, so much so, that getting really quality, essential information out there is nearly impossible- at least via written means. 

When does this infringe upon free-speech, I wonder? People can say whatever they like- I think that it is also partially the consumer's responsibility to learn about what products they are purchasing.  After all, people want to be informed about where their money is going, and what it is doing for them.  There's the time issue... of course. These regulations are put in place to, apparently, shield consumers from being misled. Maybe misleading others does not count if you are a large, subsidized industry.

So might I exercise my right to free... type by stating:

Zimt Artisan Chocolates specializes in hand-made, micro-batch chocolate that is made of fair-trade, organic, raw ingredients and are suitable for those following a vegan diet and those with diabetes.  The ingredients and final product are dairy-free,  gluten-free, soy-free, and low-glycemic.  The chocolate bars are also delicious, and children, surprisingly enough, are very fond of them, despite their high cacao (and anti-oxidant) content.

... please don't e-mail me anymore, CFIA! I'm really not trying to push any buttons but I mean, are there not greater battles out there to fight? Pick them wisely, I suggest.

In other news...

I gave my grandma chocolate for her birthday, which was yesterday. My little cousin thought it was her birthday, apparently, and kind of went to town on the present. She's 18. Haha. (My cousin is. My grandma turned 76 and doesn't look a day over 60. It's all that good raw cacao- and maybe a life of luxury.)

My friend, Vanessa, and I took a trip down to Seattle today where I picked up some more specialty coffee for the Kaffee bar. I'm looking to find a comparable variety that is local, though. A bit tricky... this one is really, really good.

Local cookbook author, and culinary guru, Dreena Burton of http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com/ and some rather amazing cook books, including Vive le Vegan, The Everyday Vegan, and Eat Drink and Be Vegan, is going to be featuring me on her blog! What an honour! Vanessa and I dropped off a few chocolate bars for her to try. ... hope she likes them. I met her a few years ago while volunteering at Earthsave's Taste of Health event- she was demoing how to make some of her famous cookies- they're just beyond delicious.

... that was a bit shorter.

Enjoy your Thursday =)


Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment