Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hi, Anxiety!


.... and hello lovely Zimt Enthusiasts!

Thank you for stopping by to take a moment out of your day to read a bit about the life of Zimt.

Here's some fairly big news that has been on the brain for a while- if you read back to the last post, you will see I began to hint at it in what I believe was the third point- kitchen availability.  The kitchen Zimt has been operating out of has been amazing- it is in a church and in addition to be totally food safe and Vancouver Coastal Health Authority certified, it is frequented by some very friendly staff, parishioners, and volunteers while I am in there, chocolate-ing away.  It is a beautiful space- just gorgeous. Stainless steel everything, commercial dishwasher, even a heated oven-type surface to safely dry the chocolate forms off after washing them. I could not have asked for better. Couldn't even imagine better, and I am almost overwhelmed with gratitude and peace every time I walk in there. After spending so much time there (sometimes for almost 24 hours in one go...), it has really started to feel like home. No matter how hectic and stressful the morning is, whenever I would get to the kitchen, I would just breathe a huge sigh of relief. The hours can be long, for sure, but being there is like going to a spa for the soul.

Mom and Oma in the kitchen- aka our hangout =) 
And I am going to miss it a lot. I already do. The church needs more space for community programs, so as of September 1st at the latest, Zimt will no longer be manufacturing in the present location. I am thankful they gave me so much notice, though, because finding commercial space is really tough.  They absolutely helped get Zimt to where it is today, and to be quite honest, it would have been impossible to have done much of anything without this church's help. Ugh, I miss it so much even though I'm going to be there tomorrow! It is just unpleasant to think of there being an end. I know it is totally unrealistic, but I had always wanted to operate out of that kitchen. It was just really nice to have some stability- this past year has been incredibly chaotic. Many wonderful things, but lots of adjustments.

So, now it is time to find a new home for Zimt. Not so easy, but God's got it under control. He's helped me out with way more challenging things in life (which He caused in the first place?! Oh boy.) and I have learned lots, grown lots, and now, I just have to grow a company with me. ... no big.

Anyway, bawl fest. Actually.

I am not complaining- really- who could complain about memories of that place? I am just slightly devastated it is over.

Again, not complaining- I fully agree with this video, by Marie Forleo: When Life Hands You A Sh*t Sandwich.  (Pretty sure I still have a roof over my head, am living in a rather peaceful country, and have some very incredible people in my life. No complaints what.so.ever.)

One fantastic option is to operate out of the Fairy Cakes kitchen- familiar and very close to the space I am renting! So that is great! (Can you tell I am trying to be really, really happy about this and end my pity party?! Are you convinced?). So, Zimt may get to work out of a lovely facility with a lovely cupcake master, Cera- Fairy Cakes owner and founder. Still need to see what my options are, but I am beyond grateful to have such a kind and generous friend.



Hey! Here is some other happy news! (Three cheers for distractions, am I right?!)- Organic Certification! It is happening on July 4th at 9 am! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited and nervous. A couple of days ago, I was thinking, "Emma- what did you accomplish for Zimt so far this year? What new clients did you acquire? How much have you expanded your chocolate company? Are you even doing a half-decent job? Should you get Zimt a new boss?" and then I thought- "Ah, right, the certification. The new packaging. This is a big deal and will allow my little pride and joy to get to the next level- distributors."

I think anyone I spend a decent amount of time with must be so beyond sick of hearing me blab on and on about the certification process and the packaging and I really can't stand to even speak those words much more myself to be perfectly honest,  but hopefully I can put a lid on it after next Wednesday. A week tomorrow. Such a big enormous deal. The new packaging is stunning- thank you to the lovely people who provided their input, and especially to the designer, Dana Lau (let me know if you need your business cards or whatever designed- she can handle it!), and her infinite patience.
Tiger is skeptical at best... 
New Zimt Packaging: Walter Lande Approved!

Look familiar? The times... they are a changing! 
Onto bigger and better things (oh yes it is! What a stunner!)
So, I guess that is about it. How have your past 24ish days been?


=)



I hope they were filled with love and enough chocolate to comfortably swim  in. Not that one would want to do this!

emma


P.S. You thought I almost forgot about the ethical recipe and link to "click-here-and-help-animals-out-for-free-whydoncha?!"... not forgotten!

Click this text and then the purple button!   ... and if you want to go a step further, consider donating 5 bucks a month (or whatever you can afford) to an excellent organization, such as Farm Sanctuary.

And a vegan recipe to round things off...

Mac n Cheeze- what's not to love?! (We're making this, Schatz.)































4 comments:

  1. Nice looking cover Emma! Excited for this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! Me too- today was a good day. Fairy Cakes will be great!

      Delete
  2. wow!!! the packaging!!! so excited to see it in the reals!!! (and eat me more of that salt of the earth i'm obsessed with right now!!!) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful?! I am so very proud of it! (The kids are growing up. Haha!)

      Oh yes. Indeed. We need to talk soon. Just need a couple of weeks or so to sort things out =D xoxo

      PS. that squash bread... how did you make that?!

      Delete